Monday, February 4, 2008

They're the same face! Doesn't anybody notice this? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

Many people have been following the Senate's investigations into steroids in baseball and "Spygate" in the NFL. Most people that I've talked to are upset about the intrusion into professional sports, and don't think the government has any business meddling in them. I agree. But what really concerns me is while people are disturbed by these "investigations," most are unconcerned by all the other government intrusions. They are affected much more by the others, but pay no attention to them; but when the government involves itself in professional sports, look out.

All this would be ok if it inspired people to probe deeper. Perhaps to ask a series of questions along the lines of: What else might the government be involved in that it doesn't need to be? Does any of it affect me? If so, what can I do to stop it? I highly doubt this will be the result, though. Individual freedoms are being lost or encroached upon every day, but no one asks whether the current MLB and NFL investigations are a symptom of something deeper. Instead, most people will continue to go on complaining about the pro sports investigations for a while, and will never think about it more deeply than wondering what Roger Clemens will say when he testifies.

The title of this post is from Zoolander.

No comments: