Sunday, January 27, 2008

One man's frankness is another man's vulgarity.

It's the weekend, so I thought I'd keep it light. Consequently, the subject of today's post is language. To begin with, a few phrases that annoy me:

1) "It's not fair." Life isn't fair, deal with it. Use a different word. If you can't think of one, you shouldn't be complaining. For example, something can be unfair but still be just and correct. It may suck for you, but that's life. Deal with it.

2) "I'm offended." Again: use a different word. If you can't, you're obviously trying to be PC: shut up. Why not say it makes you angry, or it's a stupid thing to say, or something that actually explains what the problem is? If you can't say anything like that, taking offense is probably silly. Furthermore, you're contributing to the dumbing down of our language. We're becoming a nation of people who can't articulate a more intelligent response than "I'm offended." That brings discussion to a halt: how do you even respond to a comment like that?

3) "Less fortunate." I never thought about this one till Neal Boortz commented on it one day, but since then I've been paying attention. It's not used when someone's house burns down; it's only used when talking about poor people. The implication is the only difference between a rich man and a poor man is luck, or fortune. It implies hard work and thriftiness isn't a factor.

4) "Giving back." Every time Bill Gates or Warren Buffett donates money to charity, the media says they're "giving back." When someone is on the news talking about his charity work, he says he's "giving back." But what does that even mean? By definition, you can't give something back that was never given to you. But it's used synonymously with "gave away" or "gave to charity." So why not just say that? Something is being implied here too: think about it.

There's a deeper problem here than lack of precision. Language is how we express ourselves and what we use to conceptualize problems and ideas. When we start dumbing language down or using it to make implied value judgments, we are also changing the way we think. In 1984 George Orwell observed that when language is limited a person's ability to think is limited to the concepts that exist in words. Even if we don't take it that far, by controlling language it is possible to shape thoughts. You may think I'm being paranoid, but there are many books and articles written on the subject.

So be careful with language. I gave you some examples, but there are many more out there. Look for them and recognize them when you see them. Don't let your thoughts be shaped by the media and politicians in the name of political correctness (whatever that is).

The title of today's post is a quote by Kevin Smith.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) So, if you agree that some things are not fair, why would it be incorrect for someone to say that? I think it may be the whining tone that a person may use that you have a problem with.
2) Some things are offensive, as well. Racist jokes, sexist jokes... these are offensive to many people. Again, calling it what it is, isn't wrong.
3) Some people, as yourself, are "fortunate" to be born healthy and into a family where you are loved and cared for everyday. You were read to, fed healthy food, and general "given" every advantage that a middle-class upbringing in the U.S. has to offer. For you to believe that you are not fortunate shows a lack of awareness.
4) My thoughts on this are a bit more esoteric, but I believe there is a natural flow to the universe and that putting good things back into the flow could be called "giving back". But, I did not have very strong feelings about this one.

I did want to say that I thought this was well written, but did not agree with most of the points made. I found it humorous that you were talking about how important words are, but you seem think people are being too sensitive if they are "offended" by words that are used to degrade other people. (I did read a little into what you were saying)

Libertarianista said...

I don't usually respond to comments, even though I do appreciate them all, but, Your Aunt, your comment made me want to clarify.

My point with both 1) and 2) was, bring up the level of discourse. Some things aren't fair, but why whine about them? If something isn't just or isn't correct, say that instead. Otherwise, why waste time complaining? Life isn't fair. Same with "I'm offended." If it's truly offensive, you can explain why. There are so many words out there, choose some that explain your position. "I'm offended" says nothing, and it brings the level of discourse down.

As for 3), you've made many assumptions. But yes, I am fortunate in many ways, and I recognize that. What I was disagreeing with is the idea that poor people are poor because they "less fortunate," not because of poor choices, and the better off are better off because they are "forunate," not because of good choices and thriftiness.

Anonymous said...

These were not assumptions, I know you. I am your aunt. :)
There are those that are poor, because they are born into poverty and did not recieve any of the advantages that you or I have recieved. You are fortunate and so am I, that we were not abused, malnutritioned, or treated any of the ways that other "less fortunate" children have been.